DBS (formerly CRB) and Police Checks
DBS checks are criminal records checks processed by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and it provides details of an individual’s criminal record. These checks can include information held on the DBS’s children and adults barred lists, together with any information held locally by police forces that is reasonably considered to be relevant for the applied post. These checks are to assist employers in making safer recruitment decisions. When a check has been processed by the DBS and completed the individual will receive a DBS (formerly known as CRB) certificate, which can be shown to parents during the application process.
What will a DBS (formerly known as CRB) check find?
- Any criminal convictions within the UK only, including those that would normally be considered 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1977.
- Whether the applicant is on 'List 99' and therefore banned from teaching.
- Whether the applicant is on the Protection of Children Act List and has therefore been banned from working with children in a childcare role.
- Whether the applicant is subject to a Disqualification Order following a conviction for certain criminal offences.
- Any other information the police consider to be relevant, this could include the fact that the applicants own family has been subject to a child protection investigation.
What does this mean for Childcare Professionals?
- A Childcare Professional should have completed or be willing to complete a DBS disclosure.
- DBS disclosures can take up to 16 weeks as the Home Office is inundated with requests for checks.
- Enhanced checks cost £44 (recommended for childcare professionals).
- CRB disclosures only show a person’s UK records.
- Non UK Childcare Professionals should be able to provide a police check from their country of origin or the country they most recently lived in. A police check from another country may not check the same records as a DBS disclosure.
For further information please visit: www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/dbs/
Can I refine my search to find candidates with a DBS or Police Check?
Yes, Childcare Professionals registered with Findababysitter.com will disclose whether or not he or she already holds a DBS or Police Check.
You can refine your search on Findababysitter.com to see results for candidates that have indicated they have a DBS or Police Check. Select "DBS Check" in your search requirements (bottom left) or look for a pink tick on candidate profiles.
You should always ask to see the original documents.
Ask candidates to bring original copies of all relevant documents when you interview them.