Au Pair basics, Au Pair duties and Au Pair wages
Au Pair Advice for Parents and Au Pair Candidates
Below is a guide for families looking for an Au Pair and Au Pairs looking for work. Below outlines a simple guide designed to help you understand the duties and costs or salary you should expect to pay for Au Pairs.
Parents can use Findababysitter.com to search for Au Pairs in London or Au Pairs available to work within a few miles of any UK postcode, town, city or area.
If you are an Au Pair you can tell us where you want to work by adding the area to your profile page. To update where you can work login to your account, click on My Profile and then click on the where I can work tab – then enter the area you can work e.g. as an au pair in Manchester or Birmingham and click ‘Add’. You can add as many areas as you like as long as you can travel there and it’s near to your language school.
Au Pair Basics
- An Au Pair is a young person on a cultural exchange. S/he will live with a host family and learn the local language and culture. S/he will be treated as part of the family. They should be given time to attend language school
- According to the Home Office an Au Pairs’ salary should be a minimum of £55 “pocket money” per week for 25 hours “help around the home” plus 2 nights babysitting duties. They will have 2 full days free per week
- An Au Pair is paid a modest salary, plus room and full board in return for helping out with the children and home. They are not professional nannies or domestic servants and should not be given duties that they are not qualified to complete. They are not responsible for the sole care of children
- An Au Pairs’ duties may only include light housework, bathing and feeding the children, school run, help with homework, preparation of light meals
- She / he will be provided her own private bedroom
- She / he will be between the ages of 17 and 27
- An Au Pair plus salary should cost a minimum of £77 per week for 35 hours “help around the home” plus 2 nights babysitting duties. They will have 2 full days free per week
See other types of childcare, their roles and duties and costs at a glance.